In Worship: We continue our sermon series entitled, “Our Purpose is Love.” This week: “One People in All the World.”
Here again are the questions for October 14th for your reflection:
- What does it mean to you that the United Methodist Church is a global, transnational church? Does this have any significance for you? What do you think you have gained being a part of such a church?
- How do you connect being a loyal citizen of one’s own country and a faithful member of God’s transnational community? Where could you see possible challenges between the two arise?
- In what ways can we meaningfully express God’s love for our fellow United Methodists in other countries, dealing as many do with huge issues such as poverty, disease, political and economic unrest? Then, how do we receive their love for us?
And here are the questions for October 21st for your reflection:
- John Wesley said, “The visible unity of the church exemplifies what it means to be the church.” Why do you agree or disagree with this statement?
- How have differences between you and others (both within and outside the church) been a blessing to you – and helped you grow in your faith?
- What is our proper response to people with whom we disagree?
Lunch Bunch: The next gathering of the Wesley lunch bunch will be at 11:30 AM on Thursday, October 18th at Kwan’s Kitchen 3031 W Memorial Rd, Oklahoma City, OK 73134. All are welcome to attend this fun gathering!
Chili Cookoff is October 21! Our annual Wesley chili cookoff will be Sunday, October 21 with prizes for the favorite recipes! A sign up sheet for chili is located outside the West Office. Sunday School classes are asked to contribute the following items: Journey of Faith – desserts; Believers – salads; Builders – grated cheese & chopped onions; Inspirers; cornbread; Children & youth – crackers & Fritos; Choir – Sour cream
Community Breakfast: Our next Guy Ramsey, Breakfast on Us will be Saturday October 27th from 9 to 11 AM. You can help by donating an item or volunteering!
Life Line Screening Comes to Wesley! Life line is a leading provider of community-based preventive health screenings, is pleased to offer a preventive health event at Wesley on 10/16/2018. Five screenings will be offered that scan for potential health problems related to: blocked arteries which is a leading cause of stroke; abdominal aortic aneurysms which can lead to a ruptured aorta; hardening of the arteries in the legs which is a strong predictor of heart disease; atrial fibrillation or irregular heart beat which is closely tied to stroke risk; and a bone density screening, for men and women, used to assess the risk of osteoporosis. There are three ways to register for this event: call toll-free 1-888-653-6441, visit http://lifelinescreening.com/communitycircle or text the word circle to 797979. Also look for the pink flyers available at Wesley Church.
Exodus House Thanksgiving Dinner: Our friends at Exodus House will be celebrating Thanksgiving at Wesley on Tuesday, November 13th at 6:00 PM. If you would like to help with this meal, contact Sara Schieman at firstname.lastname@example.org or Fran Parkhill at email@example.com. ALSO, we are collecting gently used Christmas decorations that residents can select from during the meal to decorate their apartment. If you have Christmas decorations to donate, leave you contribution in the Quilt Room on Level 1.
New Wesley Church Directory is Available: You’ll receive a copy in your email or pick up a hard copy at Wesley Church.
SUNDAY October 14
OFFERING COUNTERS: Jim Rice/Tiffiny Lewis
GATHERING: Martha Butler
GREETING: Tom and Tiffiny Lewis
For Healing: Pat Fuller, Shirley Rector, and Daniel Cortez
For God’s Presence: The family of Don Toland
November 3rd 9:30-3:30 PM – Wesley Charge Conference (Crossroads all church Charge Conference) at New Covenant UMC, Edmond